EU defence capacities: maintaining credibility?
This brief synthesis regroups salient points of the discussions, before the publication of a series of policy papers in January 2013 and the final report "Thinking Strategically about the EU’s External Action", directed by Elvire Fabry, in March 2013.
Notre Europe Fride EUISS EUMC
The debate was shaped by the contributions of the following experts:
- Jean-Pierre Darnis, Senior Research Fellow, Deputy Head of the Security and Defence department, Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI);
- Daniel Keohane, Head of Strategic Affairs, FRIDE;
- Nick Witney, Senior Policy Fellow, European Council of Foreign Relations (ECFR).
The debate also benefited from the participation of:
- General Patrick de Rousiers, Chairman of the EU Military Committee (EUMC)
- General Jean-Paul Perruche, Research Director for European and Transatlantic Security at the French Ministry of Defense's Institute for Strategic Research - IRSEM and President of Eurodéfense-France, former Director-General, EU Military Staff.
- Captain (Navy) François Rebour, ‘European Union’ Head of Office of the International Organisations Directorate, Joint Defence Staff – French Ministry of Defence
- Andrea Gilli, Visiting Fellow, EUISS
As for the previous reports, the next edition of the report TGAE will be based on the collective work of a group of 16 European think tanks:
The 16 think tanks participating in this project have confronted their analyses during a series of seminars organised in Rome, London, Paris, Madrid and Brussels during October 2012.
The project is led with the support of the