Paris, 13 February 2012 - Deepening democracy in Europe and solidary integration
Yves Bertoncini will speak
in a roundtable debate on “Deepening
democracy in Europe and solidary integration” organized by the European Affairs Committee of the French National Assembly this Wednesday, February 13th.
He will speak alongside:
- Jean Arthuis, Senator of the Mayenne and President of the Centrist Alliance
- Pervenche Beres, Chairperson of the Commission of Social Affairs and Employment in the European Parliament
- Daniel Cohn-Bendit, Co-President of the Green Group in the European Parliament
- Jean Pisani-Ferry, Director of Bruegel Think-Tank
The debate with parliamentarians will focus on the following questions:
1. Missions of the EU (What can Europe do? What kind of Europe we want?), in particular addressing the issues of the fiscal union, financial stability union (and banking supervision), economic union (economic policies and fiscal, social and environmental harmonization).
2. Democratic organisation of institutionsable to serve best these missions (both in terms of the evolution of functions and the composition of current institutions and also for the strengthening of the European democratic anchorage).
The involvement of national parliaments in the new governance along with the European Parliament will be one of the important topics of this debate that follows the resolution recently adopted by the European Affairs Committee of the French National Assembly.